Although the house dates from 1745, it is certainly a work in progress as artefacts telling its history are gathered and placed in ever changing exhibitions and displays within the 1745 house, sitting in the shadows of the crumbling stronghold of Dunollie Castle.
The newly opened museum and cultural centre is housed in the former servant’s quarters of the 1745 house; also home to the rather infamous Kitchen Ceilidhs which have grown popular and become synonymous with the 18th century building. The house is developing a reputation as a cultural centre within Oban, hosting a programme of events for varying ages, in addition to traditional cream teas, which are growing ever more popular within the venue which sits high above Oban Bay. Furthermore, the history of both the House and Castle can be uncovered within the specially dedicated Reading Room, where visitors are welcome to unearth additional findings in relation to the House and its place within Scottish history.
Long a home for the Chiefs of the Clan MacDougall, the house has been occupied for over 2000 years, for 900 of those by ancestors of the current Clan Chief and further through history, was the home of the Kings of Dalriada and Iron Age settlers.
2012 marks the start of a fund raising programme to restore parts of the Castle and improve access; as regards the 1745 house, its story is now just beginning again.